Search & Win

Swidget 1.0

Custom Search

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Spring time

So, it's spring. New classes (of course I have to mention school up front, right?), and new ways of life. This year anyway. I have really been thinking about the things I do in my life and how it might (or might not) affect others.
So, I've stopped using plastic grocery bags. I now have 12 reusable grocery bags made from recycled cloth. It was kind of hard at first to remember to take those bags into the store with me. Then, whenever I forgot them, I just told the cashier I didn't want a bag and had to to carry my things out. I quickly started to remember them. Also, Kroger gives you a 5 cent rebate on your purchase for every bag you bring in yourself! When I go grocery shopping, I buy a lot. I have three kids, a husband, and a dog to buy for; those 12 bags are handy.
I've also started recycling. I have considered it before, but where I live there is no pick up for recyclable items. So, I've looked into what is allowed and what isn't allowed. I have four bins in my garage and we put all of the recyclable things in those bins and once a week we drive to the recycling center to drop it all off. I went from having three full trash cans of trash a week, to one that isn't even full! Now, if Benny would just become fully potty-trained, we could cut down even less.
I've also started buying more recycled things. Specifically toilet paper, paper towel,, paper, and aluminum foil. It might cost a little more, but it makes me feel good.
I have been a coupon freak lately! I am saving so much money. Kroger doubles coupons up to $1, and for a while KMart was doubling up to $2. I won't have to buy shampoo or toothpaste for at least a year!
The final new thing that I've been doing to change our lives (haha, that sounds so silly, but it is at least partially true) is I'm starting a garden. This isn't like last year when I was like "I'm starting a garden". This is me going out yesterday and buying 24 3.5 inch potted plants to get it started. I had Todd and Jason out in our yard a few days ago. They cut down two trees and a bunch of branches that were in my way. I dug out two old stumps yesterday. This weekend, Todd and I are going to get an area ready, dig it up and put some topsoil in, plant our garden, and put a cute little edging fence around it. If that doesn't keep these monsters, I mean kids, out, I will buy razor wire. Or maybe just keep a better eye on them. We'll see.

2 comments:

Tami said...

Love your new header and all the things you are doing for the earth! I would LOVE to plant a garden! I have a large back yard that we do not use at all, but can't get help to dig up the grass...we'll soon be filling the yard with a swing set, sand box, and all that fun kid stuff...can't wait! How are your classes going?

Marcie said...

Thats great girl :D we do some of those things and i hear ya on food :)